Getting yourself acquainted with different fabric types helps you choose the right materials for your upcoming sewing projects. Even if you’re not going to make your own fashion pieces, you can choose the right material as you’re shopping ready-made clothing apparel.
Rayon Challis is a popular woven fabric and comes with several good traits that make it an extremely popular material. It’s lightweight, flowy, soft, and feels extremely comfortable to wear. Understanding the characteristics of this material will help you decide if it’s the right fabric to choose for your clothes.
This fabric is not very common and might be a little bit challenging to work with, especially if you’re a beginner. However, it’s expected that you will fall in love with this amazing material once you’ve seen its traits.
Features of Rayon Challis
Rayon Challis is usually known as Rayon. This lightweight fabric is a man-made fabric made of natural fibers, so it combines the best of both worlds. It’s an excellent choice for summer outfits because it’s very comfortable to wear. Here are some of the features of this wonderful material.
- If you’re particularly interested in a soft material, then Rayon Challis is the right fabric to pick. It feels very soft to touch. This means that wearing this material feels comfortable when you use it for making everyday outfits.
- This material drapes very well. It’s soft and pliable so it hugs your body softly. This is why Rayon Challis is an excellent choice for dresses and tops. If you wish to make elegant and feminine-looking outfits, then this is the right material for you. However, for the same reason, this fabric is a bit difficult to work with. If you’re a beginner you might struggle a little to execute your sewing project using Rayon Challis.
- It’s breathable. This is a great feature to consider especially when you’re making clothes for the hot weather. Choosing a breathable material means that you can wear it comfortably all day long, even if the temperature increases.
- Rayon Challis is lightweight. If you’re interested in a lightweight and a little bit of see-through material, you might want to try this material. However, for some models, you’ll need to pair this fabric with lining. You need to take a good look at your model and decide whether you have to pair it with suitable lining or not.
- This is an excellent choice for travel clothes. It doesn’t wrinkle much and even when it does, it will return to its original state after you’ve worn it for a few minutes. When you’re wearing something made of Rayon Challis, you won’t have to worry about ironing your outfit.
What is Rayon Challis Used For?
- Picking the right model is extremely important. You can easily ruin an excellent piece of fabric if you haven’t chosen the right clothing apparel. The good news is that Rayon Challis can be used for both flowy and tight-fitting clothes. It’s lightweight and comfortable to wear but can also be used to make drapes that show off your curves.
- Rayon Challis is a good choice for morning dresses and flowy skirts. There are lots of patterns and colors that you can experiment with. Look for a simple or more sophisticated model because the material will flow nicely and softly. In some cases, you’ll have to add lining under your material for the best look.
- The fabric can be used in various types and styles of tops because it hugs your body softly. Rayon Challis is also a popular material used for loungewear. It feels comfortable to wear and is extremely breathable so you won’t feel restricted as you wear it all day long.
How to Make the Best of Your Rayon Challis?
Rayon Challis has a tendency to stretch or grow when you’re working with it. This happens when you’re not careful as you pull your fabric from a single side. Here are some tips to help you work with this material for best results.
- Use a steam press to restore your fabric to its original state if you feel that it has stretched a little.
- After cutting your fabric, make sure that you don’t carry it from one corner. The weight of the material can pull it down and shift its shape. Whether you’re sewing or ironing Rayon Challis, you should hold it in the palm of your hands or lay it flat without pulling it from any direction.
- Use sharp scissors to cut through your fabric. Using cheap scissors can make your material snag and will affect is quality.
- Use a rotary cutter with pattern weights to prevent the material from shifting.
- Make sure that you’ve picked the right model for this fabric.
Sewing Tips for Rayon Challis
While it’s not the easiest material to work with, sewing Rayon Challis is very rewarding. It helps you execute smooth and soft-looking clothing apparel that feel comfortable and look elegant. Here are some tips that can help you complete your piece using this material.
- Always use a sharp and reliable sewing machine to work with Rayon Challis. This way you can always guarantee that your executed piece will look amazing.
- Rayon Challis can shrink when you wash it. Pre-washing is necessary before executing any clothing apparel using Rayon Challis to make sure that your piece will look as expected, but you should always skip the dryer. This will maintain the condition of your fabric.
- Keep the fabric flat as it dries. Avoid hanging it because the weight of the wet material will put it down and make it look uneven.
- Avoid putting extra pressure on your fabric when you’re sewing it. Applying too much tension on the fabric will make it stretch and will distort the structure and pattern. If you feel that it has been tugged, don’t try to pull it back. Lay the fabric flat and try to restore it using your hands or mild steam press.
- Use a universal needle and all-purpose thread.
- Sew all the seams in the same direction.
Rayon Challis is one of the softest and most exceptional materials to work with. Give it a try and explore its full potential the next time you want to execute a special fashion piece.